Spinal Isolation & Restriction

Home Forums General Discussion Spinal Isolation & Restriction

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Tanya Thompson 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Emma B
    Participant

Is it possible to start introducing spinal flexion exercises for a client who has had a bulging disc but no longer gets symptoms if they have been doing spine safe exercises for a while as well?

Tanya Thompson
    Keymaster

Hi Emma
    Before attempting the spinal flexion, you would need clearance from the Physiotherapist regarding whether the disc is still bulging. I am assuming you are referring to a posterior bulge?
    When you do start incorporating flexion, please remember to do it at a low load and not in a standing roll down position. Avoid gravity assisting flexion because this will create a traction feeling in the spine which is not ideal when they are doing spinal exercises.

I do know that a lot of professionals will say, just move the spine, but I am reluctant to do this because I would rather be safe than sorry. We do not want them to move around like stick men. But we definitely do want to prevent the bulge from increasing any painful symptoms that may be occurring.
    Do you have any specifics on the person that you are referring to? It might be easier to assist if I have more details.
    Is there any specific exercise that you are referring to that you would like to do with this individual?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.